Skip to main content

3 Insights from Warli — Lessons from Indian Folk Art

 A circle, a triangle and a square…



What do I miss most about my childhood?


The time I spent wide-eyed, looking at the world around me… Scampering onto the roof on quiet noons to sleep under the faded blue sky and gaze at the fluffy clouds! Spotting a rabbit or two, up above in the sky…

Invariably my family house always had a handful of tropical tall coconut trees or few dense mango trees or maybe a gigantic jackfruit tree in the premises!

Despite the city’s cacophony, having a congregation of few old trees in the precincts was an indispensable blessing.

The trees often felt like family…

Most of those ‘family trees’ even shared birthdays with members of the family :) I shared mine with a moody Mango tree, that charmed us by alternating the fruit it bore each year.

No kidding! A sweet ruddy pulpy fruit one year swapped for a greenish tangy one, the other year. Joys of grafting!

I guess an elated grandmother would plant a sapling every time a new baby was born into the household. I know mine had! Or maybe it was an unsaid celebratory ritual followed by people earlier.

Facts blend with fiction as time passes 🤔 ?

The knotty, gnarly and generous branches of a huge tree would creep onto the roof, caressing it a little each time a gentle breeze blew. It must have felt like a tickle!


Growing up with Nature is a utopian state of living which is under appreciated when we have it and most missed when gone!


One of the ancient forms of Indian Folk Art — the Warli Tribal Art centres around this rustic understated ageless wisdom — ‘living harmoniously with nature’. Originating from the Western Corridor of Indian Subcontinent, the tribe from North Sahayadri range in Maharashtra state of India shun all urban influences from the commercial epicentre (Mumbai) of India to cherish their time with nature.


Warli Art form drawn with white rice paste on mud walls is a visual chronicle of the life, livelihood and nature around the tribe.


And it has so much wisdom to offer, here are my Top 3 Insights!

1. “Less is More”

Art, as a tool of expression and communication would date back to the first yawns of civilisation. Tells a lot about how visual our brain is! Words were never our first go-to option…

My first naive go at creating Warli World — @moodymuggle_charm (insta) by Rani P Mohapatra

I found ‘Warli Art' straight to the point rendition of life around… No fuss depiction!

You have a bush, you draw a likeness of bush; there are people around, draw their basic figures; there are animals moving, draw them with enough likeness that you can tell a bull from a dog!

And that is it!

I found, ‘Warli’ consciously chose to be not about colours, strokes, what is better, what is not; rather mirror life as it is!

From a world of social noise, stumbling into the minimalist world of Warli Art' is therapeutic!

2. “Step onto the Balcony”

When 'Warli Art' champions minimalism; it shows how it never loses focus of its main goal.

From my lens, most of the Traditional Warli paintings narrate a collective story of communal living with a sneak peek here into a character’s life, which you can cherish if you are watching closely.

Warli painting by Jivya Soma Mashe from Thane, Mumbai IN; Photo by Jean-Pierre Dalbéra on Flickr

Elbowing around in chaos may leave little time to make sense of the humdrum; but climbing up to a high balcony and peering down creates just the pinch of solace to connect the dots


I feel Warli Art often strings together those pearls of ‘balcony moments' to create a wreath of clarity.

3. “Keep it Simple”

Decoding a Warli Painting is not reserved for a niche audience…


It is a fine specimen of Effective Communication at Scale!


From a toddler to a sexagenarian, everyone would infer almost the same (if not exact) meanings from a Warli Painting. They speak to all visually and evoke similar emotions.

Fusion Warli Art on Acrylic Coasters from @ashwattha_by_maneesha (insta) by Maneesha Naik

Five stick figures dancing around a crackling fire, or a few figures blowing trumpets cheerily; symbolises celebrations for most people.

Precise, Playful and Pragmatic ! Warli Art’s life lessons have stood the test of time!


Explore on….



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Block!!!

Indeed it has to be a block, a writer's block! It has been over a year since my husband started stalking my thoughts and left no opportunity to say his magical sentence – “ Dear, I want you to start writing regularly! ” An explosion of events happened meanwhile in our lives. For instance my husband got promoted from “Would be” to “Is” position. I lost flab, gained mass; still swaying. Touchy topic but I guess with pizzerias getting ever more active and efficient than local ambulances; I and my generation are not to be blamed wholly for falling prey to the sinfully fattening hunger satiating alternatives floating and beckoning! The idea of your food being ‘few touches and a hello’ away, when you are glued to your laptop and badgered by incessant calls from your boss; does sound like a redeeming option. Thanks to my health freak partner who essentially sulks if his digestive system does not receive home made meals twice in a row. I am blessed to have a 'much needed restr

Game of 'ordinary' dreams?... Part 2

Lift beeped and announced ‘Ground floor’. A harried set of voices welcomed us there. The company cab that transported the hapless souls from the far flung office block (SEZs can be someone’s poison too) to the mainstream one, had ditched yet again. “Good I drove down today, lucky me!”- I thought to myself. But then I saw the lines of dejection crisscross Mr. S’s forehead as he looked at the mayhem. “Do you want me to drop you at the other building, I stay right beside it and coincidentally I got my car today.” “Oh that would be really helpful!” – He said. His eyes brightened up with hope. “No problem. Please come along. But disclaimer – I have an old loyal car that responds just right to my brusque veering and heavy stomping. Definitely not fancy as its past prime but nevertheless a trusted confidante. I am still working on detaching myself from it and moving onto a new one.” – I rattled on gleefully.  “I had promised my daughter that I would spend the evening with her. But

The Dutch, I presume?

To be in the land of Netherlanders and not guzzle down a draft of fresh ale would be akin to snoring away in the freezing Iceland when ‘Aurora Borealis’ lights dance in the dark sky :-) Spluttering, choking and still falling flat while enunciating “ Scheveningen ” … My epiglottis continues to glare at me bewildered! Leaving behind a legacy of shattered umbrellas which were slashed ruthlessly by the Wind Gods of the land and truckload of shoes; torn after the long walks and maddening race to signal the disinterested bus driver who swerved around the signals callously. It was tough being in the cycling capital of the world and not know how to ride one (I still reminisce the look of horror on the faces every time I revealed my tiny woeful secret!). Ahh! Probably I should stuff in a few more Dutch drops (assorted Liquorice) into my mouth to avoid being marked as a drop-out. Beyond the tall green foliage and meandering sandy dunes of Hague; it